listen to God's heart

I was listening to a compilation cd called "listen to our hearts", the cd had various artists sharing their testimony through songs that they have sung . I came across Steve Green's thoughts and I found it so true to my own heart that I just had to share them.

Steve Green shared that since he was brought up in a christian home, he was perceived to be a generally good kid, which had made him complacent to being 'good enough' externally. By the time he was in his mid-twenties, people still consider him to be a very decent young man. However, Steve Green wouldn't think so himself. He confessed that even though he has managed to put up an outward image of what others perceive him to be, it was all because he didn't want to fail his family and friends and hinder the work of God. The problem with that is it doesn't work, it is hard to keep it up, and deep down inside he knew he was far from good. By God grace, God finally reached out to bring him back to repentence. Through the ongoing process of repentence, he was able to see the big picture of how holy God is, and how wretched he was with all his sin. As he continues to learn more about God and see more of God's holiness, he realises that God gets bigger and bigger, and he gets worse and worse. So in order to bridge that ever increasing gap of his condition and God's holiness, he needs a bigger Lord to fill that gap, which causes him to keep running to the Lord. And with his own words he says:" ...instead of focusing my attention on stop doing that, don't sin, don't do this, what I really need is a renewed love for Christ. The effect of that renewed love is the driving away of false affections and wrong desires but it has to be the object of my attention, which is the renewed love for Christ."

Two points that just stood out to me as I was hearing it. The first being that the more we grow closer to the Lord, the more we will realise how sinful we are and how much we really need the Lord. The second is a personal reminder to myself, that its useless to seek change by trying not to do this or that, but rather focusing our love for our Lord, to seek Him first, to have a heart after God's own heart, and all other things will fall into place as it should be. Thanks Steve, I couldn't agree more!

2 comments:

chingwen said...

ya man ... seek first for the kingdom of God n the rest things He will add on to u :>

Phil 3:13,14 - Brothers , I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it , but one thing i do ; forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead , I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has call me heavenwards in CHrist Jesus .

hey .. is ur birthday on the 7th of Jan ?? i got baptise on that day :>

i've just got back from my mission trip from China n had my baptism servise there .

Tong How said...

nope... my birthday is on the 4th of January... wow you got baptised in China? that is really nice... congrats! Hope that this step of obedience may lead to many other blessings in the Lord...=)

Post a Comment