Christ suffered

I remember having a short discussion with some of my friends two years ago when they compared the Lord Jesus with a soldier fighting for his country. They said it is more honourable for the soldier to die than it was for Christ to die, because the soldier did not know where he would be going when he dies, so the risk he was taking was much greater compared to the Lord Jesus who knew He would die to go to heaven. Although I disagree and don't remember having a concluding point to the discussion, it somehow pointed me to the thought of the humanity of Christ.

It is amazing mystery to consider the Lord Jesus being fully human and fully God at the same time, something which until now I struggle to comprehend, and yet by faith I believe it is true. And through many occasions of listening to this beautiful truth being preached, I am constantly confronted with the fact that although the Lord Jesus was fully man, He did not have the capacity to sin. The Lord Jesus just could not sin, it was against His nature to sin. Hence, I was troubled as to how would sin have an effect on the Lord Jesus if He could not sin. My limited brain cells tried to comprehend it but I just could not. Human beings struggle with sin all the time, and I wanted to know what the high preist mentioned in Hebrews 4:15 felt.

Just today, a brother came to visit our assembly at Bedminster road. At the end of the breaking of bread, this brother shared a few thoughts of the suffering of Christ in Hebrews. There were a few verses he pointed out in Hebrews, all of which one of them stood out like a clear answer from God. Hebrews 2:18 "For in that he Himself hath suffered being tempted, He is able to succour them that are tempted." The Lord Jesus was indeed affected when He was tempted with sin, not that He struggled like we would struggle with sin, because that would imply a possiblity to sin. Our Lord Jesus Christ could not sin but rather He knew pain in a much deeper level, He suffered for sin... Christ suffered... our High priest who knows our infirmities... suffered.

If I may quote or rephrase what the brother shared: "...a natural man succumbs to sin, a spiritual man struggles with sin, but Christ suffered for sin..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment