He allows me to hunger

I was reading some of Amy Carmichael's writings and I came upon this passage with the title "He allows me to hunger". It was a devotional on Psalms 63:1,5. It was one of those passages that carry such fundamental truths about God's dealings with us that we just need to be reminded of time after time.

It was a dialog between a father and a son. The son found himself in a barren place and wondered why he should at times feel so helpless and needy... thirsty. The Father in his great gentleness reveals to the son the reason for these unpleasant circumstances and assures his son that the Father will always be there to comfort, provide and protect.

If I may just quote two things the Father said:
- "I am the one who allowed you to come into this humbling circumstances and who allowed you to hunger. I did this so that I might feed you with manna -- My bread from heaven!"
- "Can someone who has never seen burning sands in the wilderness turn into a refreshing pool -- can he speak in praise of My marvels, or My power?"

Circumstances can change and pull us down; but the never changing Father who loves us remains faithful and builds us up. Times of hunger and thirst were never meant to make us suffer, it was meant to magnify God's greatness and remind us of the height of his goodness towards us. I am thankful... for he allows me to hunger.

2 comments:

Keller said...

"Times of hunger and thirst were never meant to make us suffer, it was meant to magnify God's greatness and remind us of the height of his goodness towards us."

It reminds me of the scene in Exodus when the israelites were complaining to Moses only 3 days after they crossed the red sea. They were thirsty and how fast they forgot about God's miraculous deliverance but then again, i feel that God purposely made them thirst (travel through desert) so that they can see and experience the height of his goodness to them.

Just like us. But we often forget His goodness.

Tong How said...

Yes.. and all of us need the reminder that God does things to bless us.. not tear us down. it is a humbling thought.

Post a Comment