lonely christmas

Another year, another term, and another Christmas is just around the corner. As usual, everyone is out shopping and busy preparing for the Christmas family time spent together. However, things are not so 'busy' in my flat. Instead, it is rather quiet since my flat mates won't be around for Christmas. At first it didn't bother me much, because I am not much of a party person myself. However, seeing so many people getting into the Christmas spirit and going back home to spend Christmas with their families does make me feel lonely at times.

It is easy to get use to spending Christmas by yourself after a few years, but I guess there is still something inside that wants Christmas to be special, something to look forward to and remember. It makes sense since Christmas is anything but ordinary, because we remember the birthday of the one person that brought hope and salvation to mankind. Just as I was starting to complain about being all lonely and bored, a friend reminded me that despite not being able to spend Christmas with my family like most people do, I still have a Father in heaven who will be with me on Christmas day, and that makes all the difference.

It is interesting that on Christmas, we take it as a time when we can come together as a family and just spend time with each other. Yet the day when Christ was born, He was born into a world which did not welcome Him. He left His father's side to save a world that was lost. In a way, He came to this world lonely, so that we who believe in Him need not be lonely anymore. The Son of God gave... so that we may receive. May this blessed time of the year be a reminder to us - we are all blessed, only because He gave.

4 comments:

oyling said...

Haha..miss me leh? Came back ad this year, if not, would go to bristol or you come up to Notts. But anyway, your friend is rihgt..Christmas is about our Lord but then again, I thought Christ was born in Febuary? Hmnn...anyway..you still have the people in church..learn up Christmas meals..

Tong How said...

haha, yeah definitely miss the company. Well I can't be the only person cooking christmas dinner on February can i? haha.. yeah the church members are still here, but we don't really celebrate chritmas here.

Jaya said...

hey thanks for the thoughts. sometimes even those of us who are here at home can get lonely during christmas bro. read your post at just the right time. thanks.

Tong How said...

glad it helped.;)

Post a Comment